22 June 2009

Feel it feel it

I just wanna wriiiite! So I'm going to! I'm supposed to be designing a wedding invitation. Which I'm looking forward to. But... I got distracted by facebook (I set my official URL, by the way: www.facebook.com/laurel.hulme ... isn't that exciting? No, not really.). And then I thought, "well... it's already 10pm... do I want to start designing now?" And maybe I do. Sometimes my best work is done throughout the late late night; that's especially applicable when I'm editing videos.

Look out! We are! Rhythm! Bandits! B B B B B B B B BANDITS!!!

Sometimes I get this crazy burst of energy. It's kind of weird. When it happens it makes me want to write anything and everything and, yeah, that's why I started writing this [web]log in the first place. Or sometimes I just jump up and down.

So, for at least a year, I've been watching Imogen Heap's videoblogs on YouTube, and they're absolutely fantastic. In case you haven't heard of them, she has been making videos every week outlining her process of inventing the innovative, funky and brilliant songs that will be on her new album. I just watched the one where she finished her album. It's kind of crazy to think of that album being finished, since I've been watching her process this entire time. I feel like this is going to be so much more rewarding for me to get this album--I already have songs that I'm specifically looking forward to; not only that--I have SECTIONS of songs that I'm looking forward to--I have instruments that my ears are anticipating, moments that my soul is seeking. I am genuinely going to miss her vBlogs. Sad to see them go. She also was the reason I started tweeting, and on her very very very last vBlog, she said something about a crazy live show where she will improvise and tweet on stage. Cool. I may or may not have teared up when she played us out at the end of that video.

She's so crazy. I can't believe some of the instruments she's used on this album, and some of the not-instruments she's been crazy enough to try. I love it. This one time, being a typical percussionist, I took two nails that I found in the laundry room and walked around the room beating wildly on the walls, detergent bottles, water heater, pipes, window, doornobs, and countless other things, in crazy sporatic rhythms. It was exhilirating. And there were some awesome sounds found in that. I love that Immi has taken her ear for musical paint and thrown everything unexpected onto her canvas. It's going to be such a piece.

[] I have now written three things that I have erased, and I'm not sure what to really write. I'm thinking about how I like a lot of musicians who have really bad voices. Funny, cause sometimes I hate it when people can't sing. But I guess if they're not trying to be good, they don't have to be. I was going to start the next sentence with "every once in a while" but I'd better start it with "quite often" instead. Quite often, I define things very specifically... and sometimes during that process, I realize that I've defined a case in which the exact opposite of what I said is also true. Example? Um.... okay, ... um.... I can't think of any. So I think that maybe that's confusing. What the? Why am I even writing in here. No one reads these. Seriously sooo pointless.

I had a Xanga back in the day. I reread some of the things there. Fun. I was awkward for a good deal of my life. I still am. But I liiike it. Whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Wow, addict. I couldn't stop hitting that R. But my point about the Xanga thing was that it's kind of fun to see what I was up to and read some old things. Okay, I'm really done here. I think I'll come back tomorrow and erase half of this. Maybe. But I might leave it and come back and actually get what I meant on this fine Monday evening. I mean, I get it now, but what I love about myself, is that I'll get it in 5 years too, and maybe even remember this moment. Is it wrong to feel a funny little affection toward your future self, as if it is a different person entirely?

I read somewhere that Chris Kirkham was listening to Sleepwalk, a Robot. I've actually never listened to them before, and something happens to me when I see a band name that I don't recognize: I have to discover. Sleepwalk, a Robot is a great band. I feel kind of happy listening to them. Then I miss you a little bit too.

I decided today that I don't drink enough water. So I went kind of crazy and drank my CamelBak (bottle) full in 30 seconds. And then I refilled it. A few times. So apparently it builds up. I went to the park to sit and write, and I had to go to the bathroom 4 times within an hour. And then the ranger closed the bathroom and I almost threw Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince at his car. I was forced to drive home to use the bathroom. I have to go again. This was a bad experience with becoming healthier by drinking an absurd amount of water. But I'll probably do it again tomorrow.

I just decided to have a photoshoot with Erika and Sam at 6am at the coast on Friday. Awesome.

K I really have to go. Suddenly this post title has a whole new meaning.

One day, I'm going to be applying for a really important job, and someone really important is going to stumble on this post, and there will be an awkward moment in a really important job interview.

No comments: