01 May 2012

Idaho to Chicago to Poland to Germany to Denmark

OKAY I'm back from Europe... I meant to keep a very faithful travel journal, but it didn't happen. All that time riding on trains and it didn't happen... Everything was beautiful. A bit cold, but still lovely.

I started in Gdańsk, because I had never lived there while I was on my mission, and I'd heard so much about it. [can I add a random insert about myself: if I made a typo 10 words back, I will push the Backspace button until I reach it, rather than just using my mouse to click it. That seems really inefficient. I promise I'm usually really efficient] <--Now, the reason I did not put the period after the brackets is that it technically isn't related to the previous sentence. Clearly. And that's why they're brackets and not parenthesis.

Anyway. My favorite thing about flying away from Copenhagen was looking down at the patchwork of farms and seeing the tiny salt-and-pepper specks of sheep grazing below on their green canvases.

It's a beautiful world.

I also loved looking out the windows of the train between Gdańsk and Warsaw, Warsaw and Katowice, while we passed the farmland. There isn't much to do out there, so parents have memorized the train schedule, and they come and sit on the sidelines with their little kids, who frantically wave at the passing hulk of metal. I wave back.

I feel very at home in Europe, but it's nice to be back in America as well. Then again, I've barely lived in Chicago for a day, so I wouldn't feel right about calling it home yet. I do, however, love my neighborhood and my oldstyle apartment. It's good to be here.

Well, I had better get to work. Welcome home, Chiiiiitown!

No comments: