14 June 2012

F. Scott and Mr. White

(Note: Mr. In and Mr. Out are extremely hung over and perpetually drunk. It was the party of the century!)

He removed his overcoat and hat and was hanging them up when his roving glance was caught and held magnetically by two large squares of cardboard tacked to the two coat-room doors. The one on the left-hand door bore the word "In" in big black letters, and the one on the right-hand door flaunted the equally emphatic word "Out."

"Look!" he exclaimed happily--

Peter's eyes followed his pointing finger.

"What?"

"Look at the signs. Let's take 'em."

"Good idea."

"Probably pair very rare an' valuable signs. Probably come in handy."

Peter removed the left-hand sign from the door and endeavored to conceal it about his person. The sign being of considerable proportions, this was a matter of some difficulty. An idea flung itself at him, and with an air of dignified mystery he turned his back. After an instant he wheeled dramatically around, and stretching out his arms displayed himself to the admiring Dean. He had inserted the sign in his vest, completely covering his shirt front. In effect, the word "In" had been painted upon his shirt in large black letters.

"Yoho!" cheered Dean. "Mister In."

He inserted his own sign in like manner.

"Mister Out!" he announced triumphantly. "Mr. In meet Mr. Out."

They advanced and shook hands. Again laughter overcame them and they rocked in a shaken spasm of mirth.

"Yoho!"
...

"Here's health, Mr. In."
"Here's same to you, Mr. Out."
The waiter withdrew; the minutes passed; the champagne became low in the bottle.
"It's--it's mortifying," said Dean suddenly.
"Wha's mortifying?"
"The idea their objecting us having champagne breakfast."
"Mortifying?" Peter considered. "Yes, tha's word--mortifying."
Again they collapsed into laughter, howled, swayed, rocked back and forth in their chairs, repeating the word "mortifying" over and over to each other--each repetition seeming to make it only more brilliantly absurd.
---

Need I say more? If it wasn't absolutely absurd, I would post the ENTIRE short story here. Or maybe just this portion about Mr. In and Mr. Out. You have to go find it and read it. Now, if I remember correctly, the overall theme and conclusion of May Day is terribly depressing and tragic. However, this chapter about Mr. In and Mr. Out is a treasure that is a delight to partake of. Please experience it, as soon as possible. This is the reason that Mr. Scott is one of my favorite authors. I can't quite understand it, because drunkenness, death, sarcasm, etc., are hardly the fabric of my life, however, this man is a brilliant author.



Now, let me continue on to the great man of a man, Mr. White. (see photo - Caleb and I visit him every year)

I had this fellow for English 3 Honors and AP English in high school, and I could say that he is still one of the most influential teachers of my life (Madame Galbraith is a close-ish 2nd). I don't know how to express his hilarity and intelligence, but he was a fantastic teacher. He didn't care one smidgen what anyone thought of him, which is why he made such a great teacher. He is so passionate about English, but that's the completely wrong way to describe it. He is eloquent, he appreciates eloquence, he lives with a subdued ironic smile on his face, he teases endlessly, yet always respects those who live up to that which they profess to be. I love this man. This is his favorite movie, and I made a poster for him with quotes from the class. I am delighted that it still holds a place on his wall.

Mr. White... English 3 Honors, my junior year! 2004-2005. I made this poster for him, with his quotes and quotes about him from people in the class. Reads as follows:

ACHOO! “congratulations!”

I’ve never seen such beautiful shirts!! (great Gatsby)… Mr. White rewinds it: “wait you guys, this is the best part!”

Daisy! Daisy! Daisy! *SLAP*

“How many of you think there could be some sexual connotation there?”

*PSH* “Quit letting the air out of my bike tires.”

“Please cover your answers so you don’t ruin someone else’s test score by having them copy down the wrong answer.”

“I’m not saying that’s WRONG, but….”

“The force is not with you, Minobe-one.” (when Greg Minobe would give a bad analysis of something)

“…which, of course, because it’s dirty, I’m going to point out to you.”

“Correcting quizzes is not supposed to be this fun. You need to suffer!”

“Please move your desks back into annoyingly neat and perfectly straight rows.”

“DON’T. TALK. SHUT. UP.”

“May I go to the bathroom?”
“Is it something you feel strongly about?”

“That’s an excellent point….. but you’re wrong.”

“I know you all think I’m a dirty scoundrel. I know I am. It’s what I live for.”


About Mr. White:

He was my favorite teacher in high school!

You are my inspiration Mr. White! (reference to the tagline on the DPS poster)

He taught me how to chew gum more carefully, yet he still caught me. He brought out the debater in me and every time I came into this class I got all riled up and wanted to argue. I’ll never forget the day he called me a cheerleader.

Eggs are cool, I’ve seen him running. He runs a lot, kind of like a monkey.

He’s probably the corniest guy I know, but that’s what makes him so enjoyable. He makes me laugh every single dingle time!

All of his witty lines come from Dead Poets Society.

He puts interesting stories from his past into his teaching in class. It makes the fact that we actually have to work this year a little more bearable.

He can be kinda creepy and weird, yet somehow he’s still my favorite teacher. It doesn’t make sense, but hey!

Don’t anger him by emptying your bowels on his stump in the forest.

He’s always been a CRUEL, SICK, TWISTED individual, and he belongs in an asylum.

He showed me there was more than one way to say “shut up.” (beep boop)

Mr. White has a sick affection for weird scenes in books…

It is considered a virtue at sea for a certain English teacher to stop using the “virtue at sea” quote.

Mr. White is a great teacher; he always makes class interesting even if it is inappropriate or stories of his childhood chasing people with knives.

His use of hip slang frightens me.

He more than admired Lance Armstrong…..

He never says your quotes and notes suck, he just says, “good effort.”

There’s a forest growing on his chest.

How the heck did he catch me with gum EVERY time?

I don’t think you liked me very much; that or you liked me too much.

He keeps us all laughing, by just being himself
-
All of this describes him so well. I miss you, Mr. White! But I will be back with Caleb to visit soon! 

“I know you all think I’m a dirty scoundrel. I know I am. It’s what I live for.”

No comments: